Gum and Lips Preparation
Older Cosmetic Teeth Whitening systems use a very high strength bleach (35%HP) which can cause painful sensitivity. Dentists warn it can also cause enamel damage, lip and gum chemical burns.
Yet this system is still widely used by many Dentists who have not kept up with recent advancements in the industry.
Why Risk Dangerous Whitening Gels
Because this older bleaching method is 580% more caustic than new safer cosmetic alternatives, even in the hands of experienced dentists it requires extensive lip and gum protection. See Photo.
Whats more, some old technology LASER and Plasma Arc lights require sunburn protection from UV rays too.
Given the obvious high risks involved, we do not recommend this method.
Safer Teeth Whitening
Modern Safer Cosmetic Teeth Whitening Systems do not require such invasive uncomfortable preparation. See Photo
Environmentally friendly too
What’s more, within 30-minutes the new safer gels we use breakdown into Water & Oxygen.
“It’s scary what risks people will take in search of the next great brightening method, especially when research has shown that whitening with a 6% solution is just as effective as using a more powerful formula, without the dangerous side effects”
Source American Dental Association
05 Nov 2018 Dr.Adam S. Harwood, DMD Todays Dental News
MORE ABOUT YOUR SAFETY.
NEW Safer Whitening Gels no longer require uncomfortable invasive gum protection
40 Clinical Studies on New Products clinically proven safe to use without gum protection
*Effects of tooth whitening and orange juice on surface properties Yan-Fang Ren *, Azadeh Amin, Hans Malmstrom University of Rochester Eastman Dental Centre, 625 Elmwood Avenue, Rochester, 14620, NY, United States; Accepted 26 January 2009
Their findings that the Beyond 6% HP whitening gel was safer than Orange juice* on teeth surface properties was published in Journal of Dentistry.
Safer than Orange Juice
Note: This report by Eastman Dental Centre also contains reference to 45 other clinical studies
DENTIST PRESCRIBED teeth whitening using trays without any protective barrier Effectiveness of Dentist-Prescribed, Home-Applied Tooth Whitening, Published in the Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice. A Meta-analysis by Researchers: Richard Niederman DMD, MS; Maggie C Tantraphol; Patricia Slinin.DMD; Catherine Hayes, DMD, DMSc; Suzy Conway MLS
Note: This report cites reference to 32 other clinical studies
1. Haywood VB, Heymann HO. Nightguard vital bleaching. Quintessence Int 1989;20(3): 173-6.
2. Haywood VB, Leonard RH, Nelson CF, Brunson WD. Effectiveness, side effects, and long-term status of nightguard vital bleaching. J Am Dent Assoc 1994;125: 1219-1226.
3. Gegauff AG, Rosenstiel SF, Langhout KJ, Johnston WM. Evaluating tooth color change from carbamide peroxide gel. J Am Dent Assoc 1993;134: 65-72.
4. Robertson WD, Melfi RC. Pulpal response to vital bleaching procedures. J Endod 1980;6: 645-9.
5. Cohen SC. Human pulpal response to bleaching procedures on vital teeth. J Endod 1979;5: 134-8.
6. Council on Dental Therapeutics. Guidelines for the acceptance of peroxide-containing oral hygiene products. J Am Dent Assoc 1994;125: 1140-1142.
7. Levine R, Shaneman R. An evidence-based treatment approach: Translating clinical outcomes to patient value. Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent 1998;3: 327-38.
8. Sackett DL, Richardson WS, Rosenberg W, Haynes RB. Evidence-based medicine. How to practice and teach EBM. New York: Churchill Libingsone, 1997.
9. Crim GA. Post-operative bleaching: effect on microleakage. Am J Dent 1992;5(2): 109-12.
10. Hansen-Bayless J, Davis R. Sealing ability of two intermediate restorative materials in bleached teeth. Am J Dent 1992;5(3): 141-4.
11. Miles PG, Pontier JP, Bahiraei D, Close J. The effect of carbamide peroxide bleach on the tensile bond strength of ceramic brackets: an in vitro study. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1994;106(4): 371-5.
12. Heymann HO, Swift EJ Jr., Bayne SC, May KN Jr., Wilder AD Jr., Mann GB, Peterson CA. Clinical evaluation of two carbamide peroxide tooth-whitening agents. Compend Contin Educ Dent 1998;19(4): 359-62, 364-6, 369.
13. Kowitz GM, Nathoo SA, Wong R. Comparative clinical evaluation of two professional tooth-whitening products. Compendium 1994; Suppl 17: S635-9.
14. Nathoo SA, Chmielewski MB, Rustogi KN. Clinical evaluation of Colgate Platinum Professional Toothwhitening System and Rembrandt Lighten Bleaching Gel. Compendium 1994;
Suppl 17: S640-5.
15. Schulte JR, Morrissette DB, Gasior EJ, Czajewski MV. Clinical changes in the gingiva as a result of at-home bleaching. Compendium1993;14(11) 1362, 1364-6.
16. Schulte JR, Morrissette DB, Gsior EJ, Czajewski MV. The effects of bleaching application time on the dental pulp. J Am Dent Assoc 1994;125(10): 1330-5.
17. Matis BA, et.al. In vivo degradation of bleaching gel used in whitening teeth. J Am Dent Assoc 1999 Feb;130(2): 227-35.
18. Fischman SL, Truelove RB, Hart R, Cancro LP. The laboratory and clinical safety evaluation of a dentrifice containing hydrogen peroxide and baking soda. J Clin Dent. 1992;3(4): 104-10.
19. Kozlovsky A, Sintov A, Artzi Z, Tal H. Clinical efficacy of a degradable film-forming product containing carbamide peroxide to reduce tooth discolouration. Oral Health 1996; 86(3): 47-9.
20. Kugel G, Perry RD, Hoang E, Scherer W. Effective tooth bleaching in 5 days: using a combined inoffice and at-home bleaching system. Compend Contin Educ Dent 1997; 18(4): 378, 380-3.
21. Whitman FJ, Simon JF. A clinical comparison of two bleaching systems. J Calif Dent Assoc.1995;23(12): 59-64.
22. Matis BA, Cochran MA, Eckert G, Caroson TJ. The efficacy and safety of a 10% carbamide peroxide bleaching gel. Quintessence Int 1998;29(9): 555-63.
23. Rosenstiel SF, Gegauff AG, Johnston WM. Randomized clinical trial of the efficacy and safety of a home bleaching procedure. Quintessence Int 1996;27(6): 413-24.
24. Russell CM, Dickinson GL, Johnson MH, Curtis JW Jr., Downey MC, Haywood VB, Myers ML.
Dentist-supervised home bleaching with ten percent carbamide peroxide gel: a six-month study. J Esthet Dent 1996;8(4): 177-82.
25. Kowitz Gm, Nathoo SA, Rustogi KN, Chmielewski MB, Liang LJ, Wong R. Clinical comparison of Colgate Platinum Toothwhitening System and Rembrandt Gel Plus. Compendium 1994; Suppl 17: S646-51.
26. Reinhardt JW, Elvins SE, Swift EJ Jr., Denehy GE. A clinical study of nightguard vital bleaching. Quintessence Int 1993; 24(6): 379-84. 14 The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, Volume 1, No. 4, Fall Issue, 2000
27. Howard WR. Patient-applied tooth whiteners. J Am Dent Assoc 1992;123(2): 57-60.
28. Curtis JW, Dickinson GL, Downey MC, Russell CM, Haywood VB, Myers ML, Johnson MH. Assessing the effects of 10 percent carbamide peroxide on oral soft tissues. J Am Dent Assoc 1995;127(8): 1218-23.
29. Egger M, Smith GD. Meta-Analysis: Potentials and promise. BMJ 1997:315: 1371-4.
30. Greenhalgh T. Papers that summarize other papers (systematic reviews and meta-analyses) BMJ 1997;315: 672-5.
31. Feinstein AR, Horwitz RI. Problems in the ï¿½evidenceï¿½ of ï¿½evidence-based medicine.ï¿½ Am J Med 1997;103: 529-35.
32. LeLorier J, Gregoire G, Benhaddad A, Lapierre J, Derderian F. Discrepancies between meta-analysis and subsequent large randomized controlled trials. New Engl J Med 1997;337: 536-42. Christensen GL. Bleaching Teeth: Report of a Survey, 1997. J Esth Dent 1998;10(1): 16-20.
Other Clinical studies on BARRIER FREE products:
(1) Clinical Study Protocol Number: EBRIGHT-2007-01) Study prepared by YANFANG REN, D.D.S., Ph.D., MPH Associate Professor and Associate Chair Division of General Dentistry University of Rochester Eastman Dental Centre using a 6%HP gel painted onto teeth and using a light Accelerator in a barrier free environment
(2) 12-Month Post-Treatment Safety and Efficacy of 10% Hydrogen Peroxide Strips R.W. GERLACH1, M.L. BARKER1, L.A. BOWMAN1, L. BENZ2,
K. KARPINIA2, and I. MAGNUSSON2 1 P&G, Mason, OH, USA 2 University of Florida, Gainesville, USA
(3) Clinical Trial Comparing Daytime and Overnight Tooth Whitening Systems (10% hydrogen peroxide) K. KARPINIA1, I. MAGNUSSON1, M.L. BARKER2, and
R.W. GERLACH2 1 University of Florida, Gainesville, USA 2 P&G, Mason, OH, USA
(4) Long-term Evaluation of Efficacy of a Hydrogen Peroxide Whitening Strip (10% hydrogen peroxide whitening strip) X. WANG, Peking University, School of Stomatology, Beijing,
(5) 10% Hydrogen Peroxide Whitening Strips: Evidence from 8 Clinical Trials M.L. Barker, R.A. Baker, H. Shahidi*, P.A. Sagel, R.W. Gerlach P&G, Mason, OH, USA
(6) Clinical Trial Evaluating Two Peroxide Whitening Strips Used by Teenagers K.J. DONLY1, A. JAMISON1, and R.W. GERLACH2 1 University of Texas – San Antonio / Health Science Ctr, USA 2 P&G, Mason, OH, USA
(7) Surface Wettability of Oral Surfaces During Vital Tooth Bleaching H.J. BUSSCHER1, D. WHITE2, M.J. GIBCUS1, and H.C. VAN DER MEI1 1 University of Groningen, Thesinge, Netherlands 2 P&G, Mason, OH, USA
(8) Professional Vital Bleaching Using a Thin and Concentrated Peroxide Gel on Whitening Strips:14% HP. An Integrated Clinical Summary Gerlach RW, Barker ML. Professional Vital Bleaching Using a Thin and Concentrated Peroxide Gel on Whitening Strips: An Integrated Clinical Summary. J Contemp Dent Pract. 2004 February;(5)1:001-017. Published The Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, Volume 5, No. 1, February 15, 2004